Raleigh, NC – This weekend was the Triangle Startup Weekend Maker Edition. I attended on Sunday to spread the word through social media and to see what the teams have been up to over the 54 hour weekend. HQ Raleigh was a perfect location to hold the event as 16 teams were able to find various nooks and crannies all over the facility to meet and innovate.
- Beer Buoy / Poolzie – The problem is that your beer (or beverage) does not float straight up in water. Demo showed MVP with someone in a pool (in early April, Brrr…)
- Where’s My Coupon? – Changing how people find coupons, providing coupons when you need them.
- Can Impact – Socially conscious company to provide a product with the proceeds supporting working wells in disadvantaged countries. “1 ‘Can’ in every backpack and boardroom.”
- Paparazzi Feeder – A tech packed bird feeder that takes your bird pix at the perfect time and better yet, sends them via a Twitter stream! (Squirrel repellent was not addressed…)
- Tangicode – Teaching kids to learn code in a fun and interactive way.
- Lyfe Loop – A biometric trigger to start recording on Glass to capture life’s moments.
- Buildz-a-Bot – Empowering children to modify their robots to match their own imaginations.
- Gather – Monthly packages of local products for local people delivered by bike.
- Right Wrap – Gift wrapping stretchable and reusable fabric to combat the enemy of wrapping paper.
- PedSights – Wearable sensors to aid in the proper diagnosis of children suffering form Epilepsy, Traumatic Brain Injury and Tremors.
- Vice Grips – Wrap to protect hands from calluses caused by Cross Fit and Kettle Bell training regimens.
- Keyleaf – A combination of key ring and wallet to eliminate the problems of classical key rings.
- Roam – A wireless child bracelet that alarms if your child strays too far.
- Smoke Signal – Drones used for emergency rescue that can drop emergency supplies or hover to pinpoint location of needed service. Who let a drone loose in HQ Raleigh?
- See-U – A “healfie” to track health over time by taking images of body parts as well as creating personal data.
(One team pivoted too late and had to pull out…)
- 1st Place – Roam – Best demo and use of advertising in-house during the event.
- 2nd Place – Can Impact
- 3rd Place – Smoke Signal – Pivoted at ~7pm on Saturday! Great recovery.
- Crowd Choice – Roam
- DX Lab Design, Design Sprint Award – Paparazzi Feeder