Raleigh, NC – The Schedule and Keynote for Triangle Open Data Day 2016 (TODD) have been announced: Read more
Raleigh, NC – Registration for Triangle Open Data Day 2016 (TODD) is open and tickets are going fast. We sold out all of the last 3 years and are expecting another sell-out crowd this year. We will be in the same location in the Engineering Building II on Centennial Campus which has proved to be a great place to hold TODD.
This 4th year of TODD we will again be putting more focus on the hackathon to bring value to our Triangle cities by reuse of their high value open data datasets. We are identifying mentors that can help you start and rapidly progress on an open data project of your own interest. We are looking for mentors with programming, start-ups, data analysis and open data skills to help us out at the event.
For some of you this is a warm up for the NC Datapalooza competition to be held later in the year, so come out and figure out what sort of winning project you can start working on for that competition.
Our keynote speakers will be announced soon.
TODD 2016 Details
- What: Triangle Open Data Day 2016
- Where: NCSU Engineering Building II on Centennial Campus, 890 Oval Drive, Raleigh, NC 27606
- When: Saturday, March 5, 2015 at 9:00 AM – Sunday, March 6, 2015 at 6:00 PM (EST)
- Why: A gathering of citizens in the Triangle to write applications, liberate data, create visualizations and publish analyses using open public data to show support for and encourage the adoption open data policies by the world’s local, regional and national governments.
- Registration Site
Previous Tech Tank Articles on TODD
Morrisville, NC – Triangle Innovators: On November 11, 2015, Bi-Link is partnering with the Triangle Chapter of the American Marketing Association to bring the program Midnight Lunch at the Lab. The program will feature Sarah Miller Caldicott, great grandniece of Thomas Edison and an innovation process expert.
Midnight Lunch at the Lab Details
- What: Midnight Lunch at the Lab
- When: Wednesday, November 11, 2015 from 5:30 PM – 8:30 PM
- Where: The Hardware Store by Bi-Link, 200 Trans Air Drive, Suite 800, Morrisville, NC 27560
- Why: Learn a technique Thomas Edison used to accelerate collaboration during Midnight Lunch sessions at his world-famous labs.
- Registration Site (Registration is $10)
- Note: The Live Midnight Lunch Exercise (7:15 PM – 8:30 PM) is limited to 30 people, so sign up today!
In June 2015, Technology Tank partnered with Bi-Link to host a group of CEO’s and area catalysts for a presentation about Midnight Lunch (details are in the first article below). We are very happy to see this program is returning and that many other Triangle Innovators will get a chance to participate in Midnight Lunch.
Previous Articles on Midnight Lunch
Wilmington, NC – The State of North Carolina, UNC Wilmington, US Census Bureau, Presidential Innovation Fellows, ESRI and Waffle.io are teaming up to hold the NC Emergency Management Hackshop in Wilmington on November 6-7, 2015. This is a free two day event for social good, to improve community response during an emergency.
NC Emergency Management Hackshop Details
- What: NC Emergency Management Hackshop
- When: Friday, November 6, 2015 from 6pm to 10pm and Saturday, November 7, 2015 from 9am to 7pm
- Where: UNC Wilmington, Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship, 803 S. College Road, Wilmington, NC 28403
- Why: Help to improve community response during an emergency.
- NC Emergency Management Hackshop Registration Site
Hackshop History in NC
This is the second Hackshop run in North Carolina. The Hackshop is part hackathon and part lean workshop with a format created by the team at Waffle.io.
In September, the US Census Bureau ran an Open Data Hackshop in Raleigh. Information about that Hackshop can be found in the following Tech Tank Articles:
Greensboro, NC – Think that Tech events only happen in the Triangle in NC? Think again as Code for Greensboro launches Civicon 2015 in the shiny new HQ Greensboro entrepreneurial hub and the Joint School of Nanoscience and Nanoengineering in Greensboro, NC. Civicon will be held November 6-8 and looks to be a great event. This is an easy day drive from the Triangle and Metrolina. Register soon before the early bird tickets are all gone!
If you want to go to just check out the really cool venues, please do that another time as this is for participants not tourists! (The Joint School of Nanoscience and Nanoengineering (JSSN) is a partnership between UNCG and NC A&T and has some really cool labs and research going on. Hopefully we will get a chance to take a tour during the weekend.)
Civicon 2015 Details
- What: Civicon 2015
- When: Friday, November 6, 2015 at 6:00 PM – Sunday, November 8, 2015 at 9:00 PM (EST)
- Where: HQ Greensboro entrepreneurial hub and the Joint School of Nanoscience and Nanoengineering in Greensboro, NC
- Why: Work with Greensboro’s open data, meet awesome people, and make a difference in your community.
- Civicon 2015 Website
- Civicon 2015 Registration Site
Raleigh, NC – The world’s top developers, technologists and decision makers will gather on October 19-20 in Raleigh, NC for the third annual All Things Open conference.
Join the world’s top developers, technologists, and decision makers as we explore open source, open tech, and the open web in the enterprise.
Two days of keynotes, talks, tutorials, workshops and networking opportunities in Raleigh and the Research Triangle area.
Why Attend All Things Open?
- All Things Open is all about EDUCATION
- The content is world-class
- Nearly 90% of all organizations use open technology and it’s
- The networking is incredible
- The value and ROI are tremendous
All Things Open Details:
- What: All Things Open Conference
- When: October 19-20, 2015
- Where: Raleigh Convention Center, 500 South Salisbury Street, Raleigh, NC 27601
- All Things Open Registration Site
Previous Articles on All Things Open:
Cary, NC – Here is a quick summary of Technology events coming up in the next few months. Let us know what you think of the events and also let us know if we have missed any.
August 2015 Events
25 – Verge. Verge is for all people in the southeast working on or investing in tech startups. We are the best event for meeting and hanging out with other southeast entrepreneurs and software developers. Tuesday, August 25, 2015 from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM (EDT) in Durham, NC.
September 2015 Events
3 – Entrepalooza. Join us for Entrepalooza, an entrepreneurship and innovation festival hosted by the NC State Entrepreneurship Initiative. Thursday, September 3, 2015 from 5:30 PM to 8:00 PM (EDT) in Raleigh, NC.
9 – Innovate Raleigh’s Innovatours. Innovatours: Meet Raleigh’s Makers + Doers (formerly known as the Startup Crawl). A walkable tour featuring 35+ innovative Triangle-based companies from a variety of industries. Wednesday, September 9, 2015 from 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM (EDT) in Raleigh, NC.
10 – Innovate Raleigh. Join us as we explore inclusivity for organizations of all sizes with a panel, keynote speaker and breakout session! Thursday, September 10, 2015 from 1:30 PM to 7:30 PM (EDT) in Raleigh, NC.
15-16 – CEDNC Tech Venture Conference. As the premier tech event in the Southeast, the CED Tech Venture Conference reflects the vibrant entrepreneurial community that exists in one of the nation’s rising technology hubs, attracting over 800 entrepreneurs, investors, corporate leaders and domain experts from across the nation. Tuesday, September 15, 2015 from 9:00 AM to Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 1:30 PM (EDT) in Raleigh, NC.
17 – Product Camp RTP Fall Conference. Thursday, September 17, 2015 AT 5:30 PM at Cree in Durham, NC.
21 – NC Datapalooza Finale. Join us on September 21st for the third annual NC DataPalooza Finale! We’re celebrating the culmination of a 90-day open data competition that’s putting a spotlight on open source innovation here in the Triangle region! Monday, September 21, 2015 from 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM (EDT) in Raleigh, NC.
23 – Groundwork Labs Info Session. Join us for an info session to learn more about Groundwork Labs—a no-strings-attached startup program in the heart of Durham, NC. Wednesday, September 23, 2015 from 5:00 PM to 6:00 PM (EDT) in Durham, NC.
26-27 – NCDevCon 2015. NCDevCon is a 2 day web and mobile development conference in Raleigh, NC. For $200 you get access to all sessions and hands on classes. Your conference fee also includes lunch, a snazzy conference T-Shirt and admission to our evening networking event. Learn more at ncdevcon.com. Saturday, September 26, 2015 at 8:00 AM – Sunday, September 27, 2015 at 4:00 PM (EDT) in Raleigh, NC.
October 2015 Events
19-20 – All Things Open. A conference exploring open source, open tech and the open web in the enterprise. Leading technology and business leaders will participate. Monday, October 19, 2015 from 7:00 AM to Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 5:30 PM (EDT) in Raleigh, NC.
November 2015 Events
18-19 – Internet Summit. Join Internet Summit for two days of leading-edge digital media and marketing content, mixed alongside top-flight networking with internet execs, online marketers, entrepreneurs and digital strategists. Wednesday, November 18, 2015 at 8:30 AM – Thursday, November 19, 2015 at 6:30 PM (EST) in Raleigh, NC.
Picture from Flickr by Oregon Department of Transportation
Raleigh, NC – The six month long NC Datapalooza competition is coming to a close on September 21, 2015. The competition started on May 16th with a day-long TechJam. Teams from TechJam, teams from CityCamp NC and others entered into the competition. Last week there was a pitch day and 3 teams were selected for a 30 day sprint prior to the final pitch day on September 21st.
NC Datapalooza Finalists
- Open 511 – Automate exchange of road closure information from government (and possibly individual reporters) back to navigation systems such as Waze and Google Maps.
- Bernie Sez – The objective is to create more transparency in our judicial system.
- Points of Note – Building off the CityCamp NC 2015 winning proposal.
Besides seeing the pitches and hearing from distinguished judges and panelists the event will also feature remarks from Rob Burns, CEO of Predictify.me and a Keynote Speaker – Lee Congdon, CIO at Red Hat.
NC Datapalooza Finale Details
- What: Join us on September 21st for the third annual NC DataPalooza Finale!
- Where: Red Hat Annex, 190 East Davie Street, Raleigh, NC 27601
- When: Monday, September 21, 2015 from 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM (EDT)
- Why: NC DataPalooza is a regional open-data competition that connects local entrepreneurs with relevant, clean data drawn from national, state, and local resources to develop applications and solutions that catalyze positive community and economic impact.
- NC DataPalooza Website
- NC Datapalooza Final Event Registration
Previous Articles on NC Datapalooza
- NC Datapalooza Kicks Off on May 16
- Q&A: 2014 NC DataPalooza Winners Talk Open Data, Access to Food
- NC DataPalooza: Why Open Data Matters for Entrepreneurs
- Top 3 Teams Selected for NC Datapalooza
- Last Chance to Enter NC DataPalooza
- Health DataJam winners
- NC Datapalooza is Off to a Great Start
- NC Datapalooza Starts April 24
- NC Datapalooza
Disclosure: Tech Tank Managing Partner Ian Henshaw is a member of the NC Datapalooza finalist team, Open511.
Durham, NC – NC Datapalooza kicks off on May 16th with the NC Datapalooza DataJam. This is the third year of NC Datapalooza, an open-data startup competition to catalyze positive community and economic impact.
What is Datapalooza?
In 2009 Todd Park was appointed CTO of the of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). At HHS, Park launched the Community Health Data Initiative, a developer conference and showcase to encourage the development of innovative healthcare applications using open government data – this event became Health Datapalooza and has grown to over 2000 attendees. The White House has grown the Datapalooza brand to include many other areas than just health.
In 2013, leaders in Raleigh including, Christopher Gergen, Jason Widen and Zach Ambrose brought the Datapalooza concept to Raleigh in support of the Innovate Raleigh initiative. NC Datapalooza is a 6 month-long competition to develop new economic activity through the use of open data.
- What: NC Datapalooza DataJam – Creating innovation through open data
- Where: American Underground @Main, 201 W. Main Street, Durham, NC 27701
- When: Saturday, May 16, 2015 from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM (EDT)
- Why: A competition to catalyze positive community and economic impact
- 2015 Datapalooza themes: Public Safety, Health, and Economic Development
- NC Datapalooza DataJam Registration site
- NC Datapalooza Website
- 8-8:30am: Check-in and coffee + light breakfast
- 8:30-9:00am: Intro to the Competition
- 9:00-10:00am: Ideation session moderated by data experts
- 10:00-11:00am: Idea presentation and team formation
- 11:00am-3:00pm: A hackathon for attendees to work on teams around their ideas (lunch will be served during this time, as well)
- 3:00-5:00pm: Pitches and feedback session with a panel of judges, plus a Panel Discussion from experts in public safety, health, and economic development
Previous Articles on NC Datapalooza
Morrisville, NC – The HOTTovation program is starting again on June 1, 2015. Applications are now open and the application period will close on April 30, 2015. An in-person interview will be scheduled within three weeks of the application deadline as part of the application process.
What is HOTTovation?
HOTTovation is a “percolator” allowing people to “perk” an idea into a sellable strategic plan. The HOTTovation program is based off of Morrisville. Morrisville is located at the ‘Heart of the Triangle’, hence the acronym of HOTT.
The program will provide free office space at Campbell University RTP campus to five companies for a period of five months. Additionally, HOTTovation participants will receive a free Morrisville Chamber membership for a year.
Participants will receive points based on the completion of activities designed to give the entrepreneur’s business a solid foundation. At the end of the five months, the participants that have successfully completed the criteria will be invited to a special graduation event. The event will provide access to businesses and individuals to the local financial and start-up community. Assistance in setting up a long-term business mentor will also be provided.
Participants will enter the program on June 1, 2015 and the program ends on October 30, 2015.
- HOTTovation Program Document and Application
- HOTTovator Scorecard
- Applications start April 6, 2015
- Applications are due by April 30, 2015 at 5:00 PM EDT
- In-person interviews will be held on May 11-12, 2015
- Accepted HOTTovators will be notified by May 15, 2015
- HOTTovation will be begin on June 1, 2015 at 9:00 AM EDT
- HOTTovation program will end on October 30, 2015
For questions about HOTTovation, please contact Ian Henshaw at (919) 633.0055 or send an e-mail to Ian Henshaw
Campbell University, RTP Campus is the HOTTovation Facility Gold Sponsor. Wells Fargo is the Startup Gold Sponsor. HOTTovation is produced by the Morrisville Innovation Foundation StartUp program.
Previous Articles on HOTTovation
- Cary Citizen: Morrisville Incubator Graduates First Class
This article originally appeared on the Morrisville Innovation Blog