Raleigh, NC – The 2014 NC Datapalooza event kicked off on Thursday to a crowd of over 65 attendees who participated in the Boot Camp event.
The focus of the 2014 NC Datapalooza is innovation in the Health vertical resulting from Open Data.
Datapalooza Next Step: DataJam
The next stage of the 2014 NC Datapalooza event is a startup weekend to be held May 16-18, 2014. This event has a longer name; the Triangle Health Open Data DataJam Startup Weekend. Yes, the DataJam stage from the 2013 event has been combined with the focus and structure of a startup weekend to provide this year’s participants a stronger process and additional support for their ideas, products and services.
Triangle Health DataJam Details
- What: Triangle Health Open Data DataJam Startup Weekend
- Focus: Health vertical supported by Open Data
- When: Friday, May 16, 2014 at 6:00 PM – Sunday, May 18, 2014 at 9:00 PM (EDT)
- Where: HQ Raleigh, 310 S Harrington St, Raleigh, NC 27601
- Triangle Health DataJam Startup Weekend Registration Page
Among the other prizes, the winning team from the Triangle Health Open Data DataJam Startup Weekend will receive an automatic spot in the remainder of the 2014 NC Datapalooza event, so this is a great way to get a leg up in this year’s Datapalooza!
2014 NC Datapalooza Boot Camp Recap
The Boot Camp event was well attended and the space at HQ Raleigh was well suited for the initial information session, talks and the breakout ideation sessions. We had a presentation from Reid Serozi about the data sets that the Data Tiger Team had prepared for the event as well as a look at the functionality of the Open Data Portal generously provided by Socrata for the event.
Case studies were presented by:
- Ramon Rojano, Director Wake County Health Services
- Tom Caruso, Health Informatics Liaison Research Associate, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Oakkar Oakkar, Keona Health CEO and Co-Founder
Finally we split up into groups for an ideation activity. What can you do with all of this data? The results of the ideation are available in the Raleigh Local Wiki (see below). Look over the available data and ideas and prepare yourself for the Triangle Health Open Data DataJam Startup Weekend. See you soon.
Important Data Repositories for NC Datapalooza
- NC Datapalooza Open Data Portal – Find all of the data sets that the Data Tiger Team has curated. Look over the data sets to become familiar with what is available and suggest additional data sets that may be helpful for your idea
- Boot Camp Ideation – Find lists of all the ideas that came out of the ideation sessions of the Boot Camp. Think about what you might want to work on or contribute additional ideas. Hosted on the Raleigh Local Wiki.
- #TSWDataJam – The official hashtag. Search Twitter for information!
Past Articles on NC Datapalooza
Disclosure: Ian Henshaw and Technology Tank are part of the organizing team for the 2014 NC Datapalooza.